A Brief History of Romford Salvation Army
1880 The Salvation Army commenced in a tent at coach yard of Holm Lodge, London Road, Romford. Continued later at The Bungalow, North Street with Sunday School at home of Miss Thorogood, Waterloo Road.
1888 Old Methodist Church, London Road acquired. Opened by the Founder - General William Booth.
1932 Erection of Young People's Hall and reconstruction of Senior Hall.
1944 Young People's Hall destroyed and rest of building badly damaged in the blitz.
1955 Reinstated, modernised and extended halls opened by the Mayor of Romford.
1965 Building acquired under Ring Road Improvement proposals. Site relocated to High Street.
1967 Centenary Citadel opened by:- The General - Frederick Coutts. Designed by Mr Ernest Lipscomb.
2008 Refurbishment and extension designed by Mr Paul Saggers, Architect ATP Group Partnership, built by Breyer Group Ltd and re-opened by Territorial Commanders, Commissioners John and Betty Matear on 25th October 2008.